This interesting name is a medieval derivative of William, which itself originates from the Old German pre 7th Century 'vilga' meaning strength of mind, and 'helm' a helmet, and was introduced by the Normans after 1066. The suffix 'cock', a nickname from the Old English 'cocc', a proud, lusty, and aggressive individual latterly became Cox. In the modern idiom the forms include, Willcock, Wilcocke(s), Willcocks, Willcox. Ellin Wyllcocks married Thomas Brodocke at East Hammingfield, Essex on July 9th 1559, while at Navestock, in Essex, Elizabeth Wilcock married Richard Convers on August 6th 1573. Margarett Wilcocke married Richard Wheler at Little Ilford, Essex on April 10th 1595. Recorded in St. John's Margate the marriage between one Mary Wilcox and Pearce Lawrence in 1751. An interesting namebearer was Joseph Wilcocks (1673-1756) who was bishop of Gloucester 1721-1731 and dean of Westminster and bishop of Rochester, 1731-1756. The name in its present form is found throughout England. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Wylcock, which was dated 1254, The Assizes Court Rolls of Somerset, during the reign of King Henry 111, known as the Frenchman', 1216 - 1272.