This unusual and interesting surname recorded in the spellings of Scroggs and Scrogges, and the patronymic Scroggin and the double patronymic Scroggins, has at least three possible sources. The first is from the from the lands of Scrogges in the barony of Stobo, Peeblesshire. The second is English topographical and describes one who lived by a "scrog" , an area of rough ground or one covered by 'stumps', or possibly at a village or hamlet so called, and which is now completely 'lost'. The third possibility is that the name was a nickname for a 'stumpy' person. This may have been a physical description, but equally could apply to some one of uneven temperament. Early examples of the surname recordings include Adam de Skrogges, burgess of Haddington, in Scotland, who rendered homage in 1296, and William del Skogges of Peeblesshire who also rendered homage in the same year. Recordings of the surname from various church registers include the christening of Danyell Scragg on November 22nd 1558, at St. Botolph's without Aldgate, London, and the marriage of Alexander Scrag and Jean Black on April 4th 1656, at Old Machar, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire. Mary Scrogum, the daughter of William Scrogum was christened at St Dunstans in the East, Stepney, London, on September 10th 1570, whilst John Scroghin was christened at St Mary Magdalene, London, on November 16th 1600. Mary Scroggins married Joseph Dawson at St Georges, Westminster, on July 16th 1827, whilst Henry Scroggin was recorded at Nottingham on March 6th 1836. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robert de Scrogges, which was dated 1208, in the "Records of Peeblesshire", Scotland, during the reign of King William "The Lion" of Scotland, 1165 - 1214. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.