This interesting surname is a patronymic from Phil, a pet form of the given name Philip, itself coming from the Greek name Phillippos, from "Philein" meaning "to love" plus "hippos" "horse", plus the old English pre 7th Century "cocc" "cock". The suffix cock was often attached to the short form of many medieval given names, and was used to describe the pertness or swagger of the bearer. The surname dates back to the late 13th Century, (see below). Further recordings include one Richardus Filkok (1379), "The Poll Tax Records of Yorkshire". Variations in the idiom of the spelling include Phillcox, Phillcock, Philcock, etc.. Peludia, daughter of Richard Filcockes was christened at Canterbury Cathedral in 1613. Mary, daughter of John and Mary Phillcox, was christened at St. Olave, Southwark on December 2nd 1722, and John Philcox married Elizabeth Peek on March 10th 1771, at St. James, Westminster. Ann Rose, daughter of Thomas Philcox, was christened at St. John, hackney, on August 10th 1783. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Betrice Philekoc, which was dated 1283, in the "Subsidy Rolls of Suffolk", during the reign of King Edward 1, known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.