This is a medieval English occupational name with a long and honourable history. "Pargetting" was a form of house decorating originally practised in the East Anglian region, but ultimately across the country, being popular in the West Midlands. It was in some ways similar to modern plastering, the object being to provide a smooth finish. The word derives from the French "par" meaning "all" and "jeter", to throw, the work being considered highly skilled and only performed by registered Guild members. It is clear that "pargetting" as a building system preceded the surname possibly by several centuries. The records of Corfe Castle in Dorset state that "Stephen the Dauber pargetted in the Long Chamber" (in 1285), although the first proven name registrations are at least three hundred years later. The early name recordings include James Pergetor in the 1533 Fine Court Rolls of Norfolk, whilst on November 2nd 1628, Rychard Pargiter was recorded at West Bromwich, and William Pargiter and his wife Phebe, were witnesses at the christening of their son, also William, at Rowley Regis Church, Staffordshire. The Coat of Arms has a blue field, charged with a fess dancettee, between three hawks, all gold. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Pargiter, which was dated 1530, The Lord Mayor of London, during the reign of King Henry V111, known as "Bluff King Hal", 1509 - 1547. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.