This unusual and interesting name, with variant spellings Glascock, Glascocke, Glascott, and Glasscote, is of English locational origin from a place in Warwickshire called Glascote, so named from the Old English pre 7th Century "gloes" meaning "glass", plus "cot", a hut or shelter, probably referring to a site once inhabited by a glass blower. Glascoed in the former Welsh county of Monmouth, so called from the Welsh "glas", green, plus "coed", a wood, may in some instances have given rise to the surname. On October 8th 1559, Peter Glascott or Glascock married Margerye Cheverill in St. Michael's, Cornhill, London, and on October 2nd 1718, Susanna Ann Glasscock, an infant, was christened in St. Sepulchre, London. A Coat of Arms granted to the Glascock family of Essex depicts three blue cocks with gold talons, beaks and combs on an ermine shield, itself divided per chevron. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Walter de Glascote, which was dated 1332, in the "Subsidy Rolls of Staffordshire", during the reign of King Edward 111, known as "The Father of the Navy", 1327 - 1377. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.