Recorded in an amazing number and variety of spelllings including Gagey, Gagye, Geggie, Geikie, Geky, Giggie, Geggey, Goggy, Gogay, Goggey, Jaggie, Jiggie, and probably others, this is a Scottish territorial surname. However spelt it originates from the lands of Gagie in the parish of Murroes. The area is believed to have been so called from the pre 10th century Gaelic word "gagai" meaning cracked or fissured, probably referring to the surface appearance of the land. The surname first appears on record in the mid 15th Century, (see below), whilst other early examples include Patrick Geky, a tenant of the abeey of Cupar-Angus in 1453, and Sir Andrew Gagye, a cleric, was master of the place of Gaduane in 1529. In 1589, one, William Geikie was tenant of the Mill of Craig in the parish of Glenilay, 1663. Othere examples taken as the surname moved to London include that of Alexander Geeky and Jane Churchill who were married at the church of St. Benet Fink in 1680, George Giggie who was christened at St Dunstans in the East, Stepney, on December 1st 1723, whilst on January 2nd 1785, Louisa, daughter of James and Margaret Geekie, was christened in St. Vincent Street Scotch Church, Stepney. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Geky, who had a lease of Cowpar Grange. This was dated 1453, in the "Rental Book of Cupar-Angus", during the reign of King James 11 of Scotland, 1437 - 1460. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.