Recorded in the modern spellings as Garioch, Garrioch and also Garriock, this is an early medieval Scottish surname. It is locational and originates from the region known as 'The lands of Garioch' in the county of Aberdeenshire. The place name may be from the the pre 7th century Olde Norse 'gardr' meaning a fenced area, but this is not proven. The originally name holder is believed to have been Sir Andrew de Garuiach, who was the sheriff of Aberdeen in the years between 1264 and 1270, although he may be predated by Waldevus de Garviacht who appears in charter rolls in the year 1211. The family continued as land owners for some time with Sir John de Garviaghe of Aberdeen, and what is believed to have been his kinsman, Adam de Gariugh of Edinburgh, both rendering homage to the Scottish Interregnum Government of John Baliol in the year 1296. The surname began to adopt a fixed form and the near present spelling from about the time of the reign of King James V1 of Scotland and the 1st of England (1587 - 1625). As an example Alexander Garioch was the minister for Cushie in 1647.