This is a name of FrenchFlanders origins which has twice been introduced into England. It derives from the Olde French 'Berger' meaning 'a shepherd' and 'et', a short form of 'petit' and was formally recorded heraldically from the Alsace Province as 'Bergeret', the son of the shepherd. It is well recorded both from London and from the Crewkerne area of Somerset, a place long associated with the textile industry, and in this case the 14th Century Flemish wearers. The name development includes Agnes Bargery who married Alexander Gibbes at Crewkerne on June 1st 1602 and Pierre Bergerie, christened at the London Huguenot Church on December 27th 1674. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Henry Bargery, which was dated January 24th 1546, married Jone Lewrys at St. Margarets, Westminster, during the reign of King Henry VIII, 'Bluff King Hal', 1510 - 1548. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.